Thursday, March 20, 2014

Green Apple- Watercress Salad with Avocado Buttermilk Dressing


This was my first time trying watercress and may I say that I can see why the English like it so well. It tastes great and is fun to eat! I think this would make a nice topping to a sandwich in place of the usual lettuce, too!
Watercress is only 4 calories per cup and is packed with isothiocyanates, which may help prevent cancer by ridding the body of carcinogens.
This is another great recipe from the library book I found entitled, "Eating in Color" by Frances Largeman-Roth.

serves 4 ( 2 points +)


  • 1 bunch watercress ( about 4 c.)
  • 1/2 green apple, sliced thinly
  • 1 stalk celery, diced small
  • 1/4 c. low-fat buttermilk
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/4 avocado
  • 1/2 tsp. lemon zest
  • 1/2 T. lemon juice
  • 1/2 tsp. honey


Place watercress on a platter. Top with apple and celery.

In a blender, combine remaining ingredients until smooth. Drizzle over salad.

2 comments:

  1. I need to try this. I haven't done much with avocados.

    Charlotte Moore

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look at your blog every few days and love your recipes - I will definitely try these last four. Mary

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from people who visit my blog! Let me know that you stopped by and let me know if you try a recipe!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...