Friday, November 1, 2013

Hungarian Goulash


I have not made a Hungarian Goulash recipe in years, but after being in Europe last year and tasting the authentic thing, I wanted to try to duplicate it. I tested this out on my German father, whose grandmother was a chef in Europe. He loved it. I hope you do too!

serves 8 ( 6 points +) add extra points for noodles


  • 2 T. canola oil, divided
  • 2 c. sliced onion
  • 2-1/4 lb. lean sirloin, cubed
  • 2 T. Hungarian sweet paprika
  • 2 tsp. sea salt
  • 1/2 tsp. black pepper
  • 2 tsp. crushed garlic
  • 1 ( 28 oz) can whole tomatoes, drained
  • 1/2 c. red wine
  • 8 T. fat-free sour cream
  • egg noodles ( optional)


Heat 1 T. oil in a Dutch oven or large saucepan. Add onion and cook until tender. Remove onion. 
Place beef in a bowl with salt, pepper and paprika. Toss to coat.
Add remaining 1 T. oil to pot. Add beef and brown. Stir in tomatoes, garlic and wine. Return onions to pot. Cover and simmer on low for 2- 2 1/2 hours or until meat is very tender and sauce has cooked down a bit. Serve over noodles if desired and top with 1 T. sour cream.

2 comments:

  1. The Hungarian Gulyás is a soup, not a stew. We make a lot of stews here, yes, but we do not call them gulyás. Just saying. :) A hungarian girl

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from people who visit my blog! Let me know that you stopped by and let me know if you try a recipe!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...