Saturday, September 7, 2013

Blueberry Banana Bran Muffins


While visiting a friend this summer, she served us these delicious and oh-so-healthy muffins! They were so good that even my 1 year old granddaughter loved them! My friend was kind enough to share this recipe with me, which came from this site . I have adapted it ever so slightly.
I made these last night as a treat for my dad, who is diabetic. He was very skeptical at first, being one to avoid most things considered "healthy", but after eating FOUR of these and taking four home, I think he was convinced that they were good.
This recipe is versatile in the fact that you can add whichever fruit you like or leave it out. I plan to try these again this fall, using pumpkin in place of the banana.
This recipe also makes a good amount, so store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They would make a great snack, on-the-go breakfast, or dessert. Share them with neighbors and friends too. They will thank you!

Makes 27 muffins ( 3 points +)

  • 2 c. organic wheat bran ( I used Bob's Red Mill)
  • 1 c. organic oat bran ( Bob's Red Mill)
  • 1 c. white whole wheat flour ( I used King Arthur)
  • 2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 2/3 c. skim milk
  • 2/3 c. low-fat, plain Greek yogurt
  • 1/3 c. canola oil
  • 1/3 c. sweet molasses ( not black strap)
  • 1/3 c. honey
  • 1 large mashed banana
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 2 c. fresh or frozen blueberries



Preheat oven to 375 and spray or line muffin cups with paper liners. 

Combine first seven ingredients in a large bowl (through salt). 

In a medium bowl, whisk milk together with the next eight ingredients ( through vanilla). 

Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just moist. Fold in blueberries.

 Fill muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake 15-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Do not overbake. Cool on a wire rack for 10-15 minutes.

* I did try these with 1 cup pumpkin puree in place of the banana. They are very good, although a little less sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from people who visit my blog! Let me know that you stopped by and let me know if you try a recipe!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...