A perfectly fresh salad for the warmer weather. This would make a great lunch too!
serves 6 ( 5 points +)
- 4 ( 1 oz. slices day old country style bread
- 4 c. coarsely chopped tomatoes
- 1 c. finely chopped red onion
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- ½ c. fresh basil leaves, torn
- 1 English cucumber, peeled and coarsely chopped
- ¼ c. red wine vinegar
- ¼ c. olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- salt and pepper to taste
Prepare grill pan. Grill bread for one minute on each side or until golden brown. Remove from grill and tear into pieces.
Combine next 6 ingredients ( through cucumber) in a large bowl. Add bread and toss to coat.
Combine vinegar, oil, garlic salt and pepper. Drizzle over salad and toss to coat.
adapted from "Cooking Light"